Makes 20 squares
Prep time | 20 minutes + cooling & refrigeration time
Cooking time | 40 minutes
• Prep time is only 20 minutes but this recipes also requires some cooling and refrigeration time. Best to allow for refrigeration time of at least 3 hours before cutting into pieces with a sharp knife.
• ½ cup self raising flour
• ½ cup plain flour
• ¼ cup desiccated coconut
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 80g butter, melted
• 4 x 395g cans sweet condensed milk
• ½ cup golden syrup
• 100g butter
• 150g dark chocolate, chopped
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan forced) and grease and line a 26cm x 17cm x 3cm slice tin with baking paper. Leave some baking paper hanging over the ends of the pan to help lift the slice out.
2. Combine flours, coconut and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter and mix well. Press mixture evenly into the base of prepared tin and bake 12-15 minutes or until golden. Remove and set aside.
3. To make the filling, place sweet condensed milk, golden syrup and butter into a saucepan and cook, stirring for 20 minutes over medium heat until mixture is light golden brown. Pour over the base and return to oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
4. When it has cooled, melt chocolate and oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth and well combined. Pour over caramel filling and spread to cover evenly.
5. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting into pieces with a sharp knife.