Makes approx. 1 cup of each
Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 5 minutes
Dipping sauces | this recipe uses the same sugar/vinegar base to make two very different sauces. Once made they keep for weeks in the fridge. See also | Pork & Prawn Spring Roll recipe
• 1 cup caster sugar
• 1 cup white vinegar
• 1 small carrot, very finely diced (about 2mm)
• 1 small Lebanese cucumber, seeded and very finely diced (about 2mm)
• 2 small red (birdseye) chillies, sliced finely
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/3 cup fish sauce
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, place the sugar and vinegar with 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 5 minutes and remove from the heat. Allow to cool.
2. Pour the syrup into two separate containers. To the first, add the carrot and cucumber. To the second, add the chilli, garlic and fish sauce.
Note: these sauces taste better after a little bit of time.
See also | Pork & Prawn Spring Roll recipe