Makes about 3 cups
Prep time | 10 minutes
This is a very simple guacamole. It’s delicious as it is, but is lovely too with the addition of chopped coriander leaves, finely chopped capsicum, finely chopped Jalapeno peppers, or red onion instead of the shallots.
• 3 ripe avocadoes
• juice of 1 small or ½ large lemon
• 2 very ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 4 shallots (green onions), cut in half lengthways and finely chopped
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. Scoop the flesh out of the avocadoes into a bowl and add the lemon juice. This not only adds flavour but prevents the avocado from oxidising (going brown). Mash well.
2. Stir through the tomatoes and shallots, and season with salt and pepper. I like to use both finely ground white pepper and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Keep in an airtight container. It’s best eaten within a day or two. Serve with corn chips, or with grilled chicken, rice and salad.
See also • Beef Nachos recipe