Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 45 minutes
Roasting beetroot in their skins gives it a beautiful rich, earthy flavour. Added to the flavour of toasted walnuts it is just lovely.
• 4 medium sized beetroots
• ½ a large (or 1 small) head of garlic
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 200g Californian walnuts
• 200g nice quality feta
• salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove the leaves and trim the roots from the beetroot. Trim the top off the head of garlic. Place onto a baking tray with the beetroot and sprinkle with oil.
2. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the garlic. It should be soft. Bake the beetroot for a further 30 minutes, or until a skewer goes easily through them. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the walnuts to the tray.
3. Remove the tray from the oven and allow everything to cool down. Peel the beetroot – the skin should come off quite easily. I wear latex gloves for this procedure so I don’t end up with bright pink hands.
4. Cut into a few pieces and put in the bowl of a food processor.
5. Squeeze the flesh from the garlic cloves and add to the food processor along with the feta and toasted walnuts. Blitz until everything is combined. It’s up to you how smooth you like your dip to be.
6. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with flatbread, Turkish bread, crackers or vegetable crudités.