Serves 6 (as an appetiser)
Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 5 minutes
We enjoyed stuffed zucchini flowers as part of shared antipasto plates on our last holiday to Italy. As with many Italian dishes it’s the simplicity of flavour and the freshness of the ingredients that make it special.
• 12 zucchini flowers
• 120g mozzarella, cut into 10g cubes
• 4 small anchovies, cut into thirds
• ¼ cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
• 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp water
• 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
• oil for deep frying
• lemon, to serve
1. Heat the oil to 190°C. Carefully insert one cube of cheese and one piece of anchovy in each flower, being very careful not to tear the petals.
2. Dip each flower in the seasoned flour, then into the egg. Drain off excess egg and dip into the breadcrumbs. Lay on a plate and repeat with the rest of the flowers.
3. Deep fry in 2 batches, for 2-3 minutes per batch. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Serves 6 (as an appetiser) Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 5 minutes
Serves 4 Prep time |10 minutes Cooking time | 10 minutes
Makes 1 slice (12 pieces) Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 35 minutes
Serves 4 (as part of an antipasto platter) Prep and cooking time | 15 minutes
Makes 8 Prep time | 12 minutes Cooking time | 3 minutes per batch
Serves 4 (as side) Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 30 minutes
Serves 4 (as accompaniment) Prep time | 5 minutes Cooking time | 6-8 minutes
Serves 4 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes
Serves 6 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes