Makes 4 burgers
Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | under 15 minutes
• Chicken Burger – Thai-style | To assemble the burgers, spread chilli mayonnaise generously over the bottom bun, then add the chicken patty and some of reserved coriander leaves. Top with the cucumber, onions and top bun, and serve.
Chicken Burger – Thai-style | Ingredients
For the patties
• 500g chicken mince
• 1 egg, beaten
• ½ cup breadcrumbs
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon red curry paste
• ½ bunch coriander, stems and roots thoroughly washed and chopped, leaves reserved
• 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
• 4 shallots (spring onions) sliced
• 1 lime, zested and juiced
• 1 teaspoon peanut oil
For the burger
• ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
• ¼ cup kewpie mayonnaise
• 4 burger buns
• 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced with a peeler into ribbons
• ½ small red onion, very finely sliced
Chicken Burger – Thai-style | Method
1. Combine the patty ingredients including the lime zest but not the juice, in a bowl. Work the mince with your hands until it is holding together. Using damp hands, form the mince into 4 large, thin patties. Make sure they are bigger than your burger buns as they will shrink when they cook.
2. In a large chef’s pan over medium high heat, place the oil and cook the patties for 3 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Set aside, covered with foil.
3. In a small bowl, combine the chilli sauce, mayonnaise and lime juice.
4. To assemble the burgers, spread chilli mayonnaise generously over the bottom bun, then add the chicken patty and some of reserved coriander leaves. Top with the ccucmber, onions and top bun, and serve.