Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 15 minutes
• Beef Stroganoff | with this recipe it is critical that the beef is sliced very thinly.To make this easier, place the steak flat in the freezer for half an hour to an hour, until firmed but not frozen through. After slicing allow the meat to return to room temperature before cooking.
• 1 kg round steak, trimmed and sliced very thinly (see Cook’s note below)
• 1/3 cup plain flour
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
• 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
• ¼ cup vegetable oil
• 300g button mushrooms, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• ¼ cup tomato paste
• ½ cup beef stock
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 300ml sour cream
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Toss the beef strips thoroughly through the mixture.
2. In a large, non-stick chef’s pan, heat ¼ of the oil over high heat until it is just smoking. Place 1/3 of the beef mixture into the pan and toss for 2 minutes until it is golden brown. It is important to have a large enough pan and not to overcrowd it. Repeat this process with remaining oil and beef mixture.
3. Reduce the heat to medium high. Place the last of the oil in the pan and sauté the mushrooms and garlic until softened. Add tomato paste and stir for a further minute. Add stock, Worcestershire sauce and sour cream to the pan. Return the beef and stir for a minute or two until well combined and warmed through.
4. Serve with pasta or rice, and steamed green beans or broccoli.
It is critical that the beef is sliced very thinly for this recipe. To make this easier, place the steak flat in the freezer for half an hour to an hour, until firmed but not frozen through. After slicing allow the meat to return to room temperature before cooking.
More Beef Recipes
Makes 4 burgers Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes • Aussie Burger | to make this “with the lot” add a fried egg, a fried bacon rasher and a slice of pineapple….
Serves 4-6 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 1.25 hours • Bacon wrapped glazed meatloaf | for the glaze combine the tomato sauce, apricot jam and soy sauce in a microwave-safe jug…
Makes 96 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes • Sausage Rolls | The quantity in this recipe is pretty huge – it would feed a family of four for two nights, or if…