Serves 4-6 (entree)
Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 20 minutes
• Beef Nachos | It’s very easy to double this beef nachos recipe if you’re having a party and want to feed a crowd. The use of red kidney beans is optional in this recipe, as not everyone likes them. I like them, but the boys prefer it without – and in our house the majority rules!
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 brown onion, chopped
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• ¼ teaspoon ground chilli
• 250g beef mince
• ½ can (200g) red kidney beans, drained (optional)
• ½ cup tomato sauce
• 200g packet plain salted corn chips
• 1 cup grated tasty cheese
• ¾ cup sour cream
• 1 cup fresh guacamole • see recipe here
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat the olive oil in a chef’s pan (or large, deep oven proof fry pan) over a low heat . Add the garlic and onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes until starting to turn translucent and fragrant. Add the cumin, paprika and chilli and sauté for a further minute. Increase the heat and add the beef.
3. Cook for 5 minutes until browned, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon. Add the tomato sauce along with ¼ cup water. Simmer until the sauce thickens and the beef is cooked through.
4. On top of the beef, lay the corn chips, and scatter over the cheese. Place the pan in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve in the pan with guacamole • see recipe here and then sour cream on top.