Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 20 minutes
• Cauliflower soup | before cooking process the cauliflower in batches in a food processor to the consistency of large breadcrumbs. This allows the cauliflower to cook quickly, maintaining all its lovely flavour.
• 1 litre milk
• 1 large head cauliflower (about 1.4kg), broken up into florets
• 2 teaspoons salt
• ½ teaspoon finely ground white pepper
• 80g butter
• 3 rashers bacon, rind removed, cut into a very fine dice
• 3 slices bread, processed to a very coarse crumb
1. In a large soup pot, heat the milk. While the milk is heating, process the cauliflower in batches in a food processor to the consistency of large breadcrumbs. This allows the cauliflower to cook quickly, maintaining all its lovely flavour.
2. When the milk is almost at boiling point, add the cauliflower to the pot. Bring back to a simmer and simmer, stirring frequently, for around 15 minutes. To test if the cauliflower is cooked, crush a little piece between your thumb and forefinger. It should disintegrate. If it is still a bit hard, continue cooking. Add the butter, salt and pepper.
3. Use a hand-held stick mixer to blend the soup very thoroughly, until it is velvety smooth.
4. Serve the soup topped with bacon crumble.
In a frypan, sauté the finely diced bacon. The bacon pieces should not be more than 2mm across. When the bacon is starting to cook and release its fat, add the breadcrumbs. Stir continually, until the breadcrumbs are golden and the bacon pieces are crunchy.
Taste and season with salt if required – this will depend on how salty the bacon is. Drain on a paper towel. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes • Mushroom soup is a great winter warmer served in warmed bowls with good sourdough toast. The cream can be omitted if calories…
Makes about 2 litres Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 35 minutes • Pumpkin soup comes in many guises – with curries, spices, loads of different flavours and vegetable. And most of…
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes This asparagus soup has a lovely creamy texture even though it doesn’t contain any cream. It has a delicate flavour and can…
Makes 8 serves Prep time | 20 minutes Cooking time | 20 minutes There is no definitive recipe for minestrone. The word itself loosely translates to “big soup”, and is a hearty, peasant-style meal traditionally…