Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 30 minutes
• Pumpkin & Pine Nut Fettucine | this is a fast and easy pasta dish full of flavour and colour. If the sauce needs to be loosened up a bit, use some of the reserved pasta water. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
½ butternut pumpkin (about 5 cups) cut into 2-3 cm cubes
1 small head garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup pine nuts
200 g fettucine
½ cup basil leaves (whole)
½ cup cream
parmesan cheese, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place the pumpkin on a lined tray. Toss through the olive oil and sprinkle with nutmeg and pepper. Cut the top off the garlic head and drizzle a little oil over. Place on the tray with the pumpkin. For 30 minutes or until the garlic flesh is soft and the pumpkin tender and golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt. (The garlic may need to come out earlier depending on its size.)
3. On a separate lined tray, place the pine nuts in the oven for 5 minutes or until starting to brown.
4. Prepare the fettucine according to packet directions and drain, reserving some of the pasta water.
5. Mash the flesh from the roasted garlic head.
6. Toss together the fettucine, garlic, pumpkin, pine nuts, basil and cream.
7. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
If the sauce needs to be loosened up a bit, use some of the reserved pasta water.
Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.