Prep time | 5 minutes
Cooking time | 1.5 hours
Roast Lamb | I’m going back to basics with this one – a traditional leg of lamb with gravy. Just the way Nan used to make it!
• 2.5kg lamb leg
• 3 cloves garlic, sliced lengthways
• 2 rosemary branches, leaves removed
• salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup flour
• up to 2 cups beef stock
• salt and pepper, as required
Method | lamb
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. With a small sharp knife, pierce the lamb every 3cm or so. Stuff each incision with a slice of garlic and a few rosemary leaves. Sprinkle the roast with salt and ground black pepper.
3. Roast for 1 ¼-1 ½ hours for medium lamb. Remove from the oven and rest in the pan under foil for half an hour.
A rule of thumb for lamb is 15 minutes, then 15 minutes per 500g. Drain some, but not all, of the fat and use the pan juices to make the gravy (recipe below).
Method | gravy
1. After the roast has rested, remove it to the carving board and leave it under foil.
2. Stir the flour into the pan juices, ensuring there are no lumps.
3. Place the pan over a medium heat and introduce the beef stock little by little. Bring to the boil.
4. Taste and season. Pour into a serving jug.
Ingredients • ½ cup plain flour • ¼ tsp salt • ¼ tsp ground white pepper • 4 frenched lamb shanks • 3 tbs oil • 2 carrots, diced • 3 celery sticks, diced • 2 onions, diced…
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 10 minutes • Lamb and Snow Pea Stir Fry | the trick with a stir fry is to cook the meat in small batches….
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 2 hours • Please don’t be put off by the 2 hour cooking time of this lamp chop and potato bake – it takes literally…
Serves 4 Prep time | 20 minutes Cooking time | 2 hours 20 minutes