Makes 4 burgers
Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 15 minutes
• Aussie Burger | to make this “with the lot” add a fried egg, a fried bacon rasher and a slice of pineapple.
For the patties
• 500g premium beef mince
• ½ tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the burger
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 large brown onion, sliced
• 4 hamburger buns
• 4 slices tasty cheese
• 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, finely sliced
• 1 large ripe tomato, sliced thinly
• 4 large slices tinned beetroot
• Mayonnaise, to serve
• Tomato or BBQ sauce, to serve
1. Combine the mince, salt and pepper in a bowl. Work the mince with your hands until it is holding together. Using damp hands, form the mince into 4 large, thin patties. Make sure they are bigger than your burger buns as they will shrink when they cook.
2. In a large chef’s pan over medium high heat, place 1 teaspoon of oil and cook the patties for 3 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Set aside, covered with foil.
3. Put the remaining oil in the pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes or until softened and starting to brown.
4. If you want to toast the buns, split them and put them cut-side up under a grill at this stage.
5. To assemble the burgers, spread mayonnaise generously over the bottom bun, then add the lettuce, tomato and beetroot. Top with the meat patty, cheese slice, tomato or BBQ sauce, sautéed onion and the top of the bun.
To make this “with the lot” add a fried egg, a fried bacon rasher and a slice of pineapple.