Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 20 minutes
• Butter chicken | this is a quick and easy version of this popular recipe – just right for weeknight dinners. Served with a few poppadums, some salad and flatbread it’s a family favourite at our place!
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 50g butter
• 1.6kg chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into thirds
• 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 3 teaspoons ground coriander seed
• 3 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
• ½ teaspoon ground allspice
• ½ teaspoon chilli powder
• 4 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 ½ cups tomato puree
• 2/3 cup natural yoghurt
• 1 cup thickened cream
• coriander leaves and extra yoghurt
1. In a large non-stick chef’s pan, heat ¼ the oil and a ¼ of the butter over medium-high heat. Brown ¼ of chicken pieces for about 3 minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside. Repeat with the rest of the oil, butter and chicken.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-low. In the oil left in the pan, saute the ginger and garlic for a minute or two, then add the ground spices and cook for a further minute. Add tomato paste to the mixture and cook for another minute.
3. Return chicken to the pan, along with tomato puree, yoghurt and cream. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken has cooked through. Taste and add a pinch of salt if necessary.
4. Serve with basmati rice topped with extra yoghurt and scattered with coriander leaves.
Serves 4-6 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 1.25 hours • Thai Green Chicken Curry | I fell in love with Thai food over 20 years ago, when I was lucky enough…
Serves 4 as an entree Prep time | 20 minutes + marinating time Cooking time | 10-15 minutes • Satay Chicken Skewers | This is a quick and easy satay chicken recipe which only takes…
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 30 minutes • Oven Fried Chicken | This recipe is healthier than deep fried chicken but is still crunchy and delicious! For variation you can always…