Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | about 10 minutes
Colcannon mash is an old Irish favourite that goes especially well with pork.
• 3-4 potatoes (700 g) – peeled
• ¾ cup milk
• 60g unsalted butter, cubed – at room temperature
• salt, to taste
• ¼ small green cabbage – very finely sliced or shredded
• 4 shallots (spring onions) – sliced
1. Halve the potatoes and place in a large pan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook until tender – about 10 minutes. Strain the potatoes well, empty the pan and dry it, then return the potatoes to the pan.
2. Heat the milk in a separate saucepan or in the microwave, but do not boil.
3. Using a potato masher or ricer, mash the potatoes as quickly as possible, gradually introducing cubes of butter. Keep aside 1 cube of butter for the cabbage. Change to a sturdy wire whisk, and whisk in the hot milk a little at a time. Taste and add salt. Be aware that potato does tend to take quite a lot of salt in order to not taste bland.
4. Keep whisking until the puree is completely smooth and lump free. Add milk until the puree is the consistency you want.
5. In a fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the cabbage and shallots. Saute until the cabbage “collapses”, or becomes soft and bright green, but still retains some crunch. Mix through the mashed potato.
5. As the potato cools it will thicken up. To reheat, stir in a little extra milk over a gentle heat.
More Vegetable Recipes
Ingredients • 2 kg washed potatoes, unpeeled, sliced 2mm thick with a mandolin • 600 ml thickened cream • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard • 5 garlic cloves, chopped • 1 teaspoon salt • ½ teaspoon finely…
Serves 4-6 as an accompaniment Prep time | 5 minutes Cooking time | 10 minutes • Onion Rings | For best results when deep frying I always recommend the use of a deep fryer. They are…
Serves 4 Prep time | 30 minutes Cooking time | 30 minutes • Ricotta & Spinach Canneloni | this is a quick and easy canneloni recipe featuring either spinach or silverbeet (which is so easy to grow…
Serves 4 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 30 minutes • Pumpkin & Pine Nut Fettucine | this is a fast and easy pasta dish full of flavour and colour. If the sauce needs…