Serves 4 (as part of a shared meal)
Prep time | 5 minutes
Cooking time | 6-8 minutes
• 400g Brussels sprouts – as small as possible
• ¼ cup pine nuts
• 100g speck, skin removed, cut into batons
• 2 slices bread,
• 20g butter
• salt and ground black pepper
1. Steam or microwave the Brussels sprouts until they are just tender but not soggy. Check every couple of minutes. They should be bright green. Cut in half.
2. In a medium fry pan over medium high heat, dry-fry the pine nuts until golden. Watch them carefully as they can burn easily. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Sauté the speck batons until the fat renders and they are golden and starting to crisp. Remove from the pan with a spoon and leave the rendered fat in the pan. Drain the speck on paper towel.
4. Add butter to the pan. When it is foaming, add the Brussels sprouts and sauté until starting to turn golden. Toss through the pine nuts and speck. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
If you can’t find speck, use bacon rashers instead. Remove the rind, cut into strips, and cook as per the recipe.