Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 3 hours
• 4 large navel oranges
• 1 lime
• 1 lemon
• 6 eggs
• 2 x cups (440g) caster sugar
• 400g almond meal
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the syrup
• Juice of 2 oranges, 2 lemons and 2 limes
• 1 cup caster sugar
1. Boil the oranges, lime and lemon in a large pot of water for 2 hours. Top up the water if needs be. Drain carefully. The fruit will be very soft and pulpy. Place into a food processor and blitz until completely smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced). Grease and line a 26cm spring-form cake tin.
3. Place the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Fold through the pureed fruit. Place the almond meal and baking powder on top and fold through.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 ½ hours. Place foil loosely over the top if it is browning too quickly.
5. To make the syrup, combine the juices and sugar in a saucepan on the stove. Bring to the boil and boiled for around 5 minutes, until the syrup has thickened and reduced slightly.
6. When the cake is cooked, cool for 15 minutes in the tin. While the cake cools, “feed” it by drizzling the syrup over the top, a little at a time, allowing each spoonful to soak in before adding more.
Makes 20 squares Prep time | 20 minutes + cooling & refrigeration time Cooking time | 40 minutes • Prep time is only 20 minutes but this recipes also requires some cooling and refrigeration time….
Serves 10 Prep time | 30 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes • Grandma’s Sponge Cake | when the cakes are completely cool, whip the cream. Spread the jam on top of…
Serves 10 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 40 minutes • Apricot Sour Cream Cake | I like to make this in a bundt tin as it looks so pretty. If you cook…
Ingredients | cake • 125g butter, at room temperature • 1 cup caster sugar • 2 eggs • 3 medium-sized pink lady apples, quartered and cut into thick slices • 1 ¾ cups pecans, roughly…