Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 15 minutes
• Mushroom soup is a great winter warmer served in warmed bowls with good sourdough toast. The cream can be omitted if calories are an issue!
• 25g unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1kg button mushrooms, stalks removed, finely sliced
• ¼ cup plain flour
• 1 litre chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
• ¼ teaspoon finely ground white pepper
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¼ cup thickened cream
1. In a large, heavy based pot, place butter and oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and gently sauté until translucent, soft and fragrant.
2. Add the mushrooms and stir through. Turn up the heat and sauté until the mushrooms are soft and brown. This will take about ten minutes – the mushrooms firstly will take up all the moisture from the oil, then they will exude their own juices, and eventually those will evaporate and the mushrooms will start to brown. This is the point that you want to reach before proceeding.
3. Add the flour and stir well. Add the stock, about half a cup at a time, stirring all the time. When all the stock is added, bring to the simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and finish with the cream.
4. Serve into warmed bowls with good sourdough toast.
Note: the cream can be omitted if calories are an issue.
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes • Mushroom soup is a great winter warmer served in warmed bowls with good sourdough toast. The cream can be omitted if calories…
Makes about 2 litres Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 35 minutes • Pumpkin soup comes in many guises – with curries, spices, loads of different flavours and vegetable. And most of…
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes This asparagus soup has a lovely creamy texture even though it doesn’t contain any cream. It has a delicate flavour and can…
Makes 8 serves Prep time | 20 minutes Cooking time | 20 minutes There is no definitive recipe for minestrone. The word itself loosely translates to “big soup”, and is a hearty, peasant-style meal traditionally…