Prep time | 20 minutes
Cooking time | 1 hour
This is one of my family’s favourite recipes – a hearty, comforting, warming meal that nourishes your heart as well as your body.
• 1 kilo pork mince
• 1 ½ cups fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon mustard powder
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• 1 tbs olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 onions, chopped
• 6 slices of hot salami (optional), cut into strips
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
• 700g jar tomato passata
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 tbs sugar
• 1 pkt dried fettucine
• extra parmesan for serving
1. Combine all the meatball ingredients in a bowl. Using your hand, mix very thoroughly, kneading the meat until it is sticky and holds together in a ball. Using damp hands, roll into golfball-sized meatballs.
Heat oil in a large chef’s pan or large cast-iron casserole. Saute the onions, garlic and salami until onions are translucent.
2. Add the oregano, passata, salt and sugar and bring to a simmer. Drop the raw meatballs into the sauce and simmer on a low heat for an hour. It’s important not to simmer on a high heat or the meatballs will be tough. After an hour, the sauce will be rich and the meatballs tender.
3. Cook the fettucine to packet directions, making sure the water is well salted and boiling rapidly.
4. Remove the meatballs from the pan with a slotted spoon. Strain the fettucine and put it in the pot with the tomato sauce, stirring well to coat. Serve the fettucine into warmed bowls and pop the meatballs on top. Serve with grated parmesan on top. This meal goes really well with salad and garlic bread.
More Pork Recipes
Serves 4 Prep + cook time | 2 hours
Serves 4 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 2 hours
Serves 4 Prep time | 20 minutes Cooking time | 20 minutes
Makes 12 Prep time | 30 minutes Cooking time | 20 minutes (5-7 minutes / batch)