Serves 4 as an entree
Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 10 minutes
• 12 green king prawns, shelled and deveined, tail intact
• 4 very thin slices prosciutto, cut lengthways into thirds
• ½ cup tomato sauce
• ¼ cup maple syrup
• ¼ cup white vinegar
• 1 teaspoon hot English mustard
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• steamed rice, green salad and lime to serve
1. Take a strip of prosciutto and wrap it around the prawn, starting at the tail end and working toward the head end. Repeat with all 12 prawns.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard and paprika. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken and become richly aromatic.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Make sure the pan is piping hot. Lay the prawns in the pan and cook for one minute. Turn onto the other side and cook for a further 30 seconds. The prawns will continue to cook once they are removed from the pan, so don’t be tempted to leave them in for too long.
4. Lay some rice on the plate, top with sauce and place the prawns on top. Serve with a little dressed green salad. (Pictured with cucumber spaghetti salad with lemon dressing.
Green king prawns can be deveined by grasping the end of the vein and pulling. If the vein breaks, you can slice open the back of the prawn very carefully and remove the vein that way.
Cucumber spaghetti is made with a nifty little twisty gadget that comes from home-ware stores. This is just as nice if the cucumber is cut into “chiffonnade” – very fine ribbons.
Lemon vinaigrette is a simple mix of 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a little salt.
More Seafood Recipes
Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 5 minutes per batch • Thai Fish Cakes | These are Thai-style fish cakes are a tasty little morsel that can be made ahead of time and…
Makes 12 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 5 minutes Oysters Kilpatrick | Over the years at the Narooma Oyster Festival I have been lucky enough to be asked to judge the oyster…
Serves 4 as a meal – about 10 as part of a shared table Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 10 minutes Prawns, bacon, ranch dressing – it’s as simple as it is tasty!…
Serves 4-5 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes • Tuna Mornay | when adding the tuna break up any huge lumps but don’t stir too much after this or the tuna…
Ingredients • ½ cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped. • 2 cloves garlic, chopped • 1 lemon, zested and thickly sliced • ¾ cup pistachios (shelled) • 2 tablespoons olive oil • ¼ teaspoon ground black…
Ingredients • 1kg pontiac potatoes • vegetable oil, for deep frying • 8 white fish fillets (flathead, whiting, ask your fishmonger for boneless fillets) – 800g • 1 can cold beer (375ml) • 200g plain…