Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 5 minutes per batch
• Thai Fish Cakes | These are Thai-style fish cakes are a tasty little morsel that can be made ahead of time and so are perfect for any party.
• 500g boneless, skinless white fish fillets
• 1 egg, beaten
• 3 tablespoons cornflour
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 1 tablespoon red curry paste
• 2 tablespoons chopped coriander root and stem
• 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
• 8 green beans, sliced
• 4 shallots (spring onions) sliced
• Peanut oil, for frying
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1.5 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 tablespoons fish sauce
• 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
• ½ teaspoon small red (birdseye) chilli, chopped
1. Process the fish in a food processor, then remove to a bowl. Add the egg, cornflour, fish sauce, curry paste, coriander roots, chilli, beans and shallots and mix well.
2. Form into small flattened meatballs and fry in peanut oil over a medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
3. In a bowl, combine sugar, lime juice and fish sauce. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add garlic and chilli. Taste and add more sugar or fish sauce if desired.