Serves 4 (as side)
Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 30 minutes
Cauliflower Gratin is an old favourite – a lovely accompaniment for any winter meal.
• 1 smallish head cauliflower, cut into large florets
• 25g butter
• 25g flour
• 1 ¾ cups (375 ml) milk
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 ½ cups tasty cheese, grated
• salt and pepper
• ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Steam or microwave the cauliflower until tender. This will take about 6 minutes, covered on high in the microwave.
3. Make sure any excess moisture is drained off and arrange the florets in individual gratin dishes. Try to keep the “flower” side up where possible.
4. To make cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter and add flour over medium heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until it gathers into a dough.
5. Continue to stir for another minute or so. This begins to cook the flour.
6. Add a little milk – about ¼ cup. This will incorporate fairly quickly into the dough and will once again come away from the sides of the pan. Once this happens you can add another ¼ cup milk and repeat until all the milk has been added.
7. Stir in mustard, then add one cup of the cheese and stir until it melts. Taste, and season with salt and pepper if required. Pour the cheese sauce over the florets, making sure there are no gaps.
8. Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the cauliflower.
9. Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Serves 6 (as an appetiser) Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 5 minutes
Makes 1 slice (12 pieces) Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 35 minutes
Serves 4 (as part of an antipasto platter) Prep and cooking time | 15 minutes
Serves 4 (as side) Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 30 minutes
Serves 4 (as accompaniment) Prep time | 5 minutes Cooking time | 6-8 minutes
Serves 4 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes
Serves 6 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes
Serves 4 (as part of a shared meal) Prep time | 5 minutes Cooking time | 6-8 minutes
Serves 4 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | about 10 minutes