Prep time | 20 minutes
Cooking time | 25 minutes
Serves 4 as a main, 6 as an accompaniment
Fried rice | Nothing beats a good fried rice, and this fried rice is one that I’ve been cooking for my family for years!
• 2 cups jasmine rice
• 2 eggs
• 4 rashers bacon, sliced thinly
• salt and pepper
• 1 medium brown onion, chopped
• ½ cup peanut oil
• 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice
• 1/3 cup light soy sauce
• 1 cup frozen baby peas
• 1 x 200g tin corn kernels or kernels off 2 steamed cobs of corn
• 2/3 cup shallots (green spring onions) thinly shredded diagonally
• ½ cup crispy shallots
Method | Fried rice
1. Place rice in a tightly lidded microwave safe container with 3 cups water. Cook on High for 18 minutes. When cooked, separate the grains with a fork and leave the lid off.
2. Place bacon in a wok or large chefs pan and cook over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp oil along with onion and fry gently until soft and fragrant, not brown. Remove from wok.
3. Add beaten eggs one at a time to the wok with oil. Swirl the egg around to create a thin omelette. Season with salt and white pepper. When the egg has set, remove from wok. Roll up and slice very thinly.
4. Meanwhile, cook peas according to packet directions.
5. Put peanut oil in wok over high heat. Add rice and stir fry. Add Chinese 5 spice and soy sauce and stir through. When the rice is all coated with soy and has a fairly dry consistency, add egg, bacon onion, peas and corn, and combine. Remove from wok.
6. Just before serving, stir through 2/3 of the shredded shallots. Place the remaining shallots across the top of the rice along with crispy shallots.