Prep + cook time | 3.5 hours
Roasted Pork Belly | You may need to ask your butcher for this cut. Pork belly is most commonly sold as “pork rashers”, which are narrow strips of belly, and usually have the bone in. This recipe requires a whole piece of belly with the bones removed.
• 1.5 kilo piece of pork belly, bones removed
• olive oil
1. Make sure the skin is very dry. If required, leave it uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking.
2. Using a Stanley knife or a Mickey knife, score the rind. Cut into the fat but not into the flesh. I like to score the rind about ½ – 1cm wide. Make sure the belly has no stray bristles on it. Rub the rind with a little olive oil and massage salt thoroughly into it.
3. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
4. Place in the oven on a rack in a roasting pan, for 30 minutes or until the skin begins to puff up and look crisp.
5. Turn the oven down to 140°C and continue to roast uncovered for a further 2½ hours. Remove from the oven and rest well before serving.
More Pork Recipes
Serves as many people as you can invite over! Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 3 hours Christmas Ham | I love to glaze my ham for Christmas day, but I prefer to eat it cold so…
Serves 4 Prep + cook time | 3.5 hours Roasted Pork Belly | You may need to ask your butcher for this cut. Pork belly is most commonly sold as “pork rashers”, which…
Ingredients • 2 teaspoons chinese 5-spice powder • 1.2kg piece pork belly, bone out, skin on • 2 tablespoons cooking salt • 5cm piece of ginger, skin on, sliced • 6 cloves garlic, cut in…