Prep time | 30 minutes
Cooking time | 20 minutes (5-7 minutes / batch)
• 50g rice vermicelli
• 200g belly pork (skinless)
• 200g raw prawn meat, roughly chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 bunch shallots (spring onions), julienne
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
• 12 spring roll wrappers
• oil, for deep frying
1. Place the vermicelli into boiling water for 2 minutes until soft. Refresh with cold water and drain well.
2. Put the pork belly (or scotch fillet, or other fatty cut) through the food processor until minced.
3. In an bowl, combine the pork, prawns, garlic, shallots, noodles, salt and pepper. Using your hands, work the mince thoroughly until it is very sticky. This will take a few minutes.
4. Lay the spring roll wrapper so it forms a diamond in front of you. Place a heaped spoonful of mixture across the bottom third of the wrapper, then bring up the bottom corner and roll. When you get to the “east and west” corners, fold them in and finish rolling. Wet the point with water so that it sticks.
5. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 190°C, or in a pot until a cube of bread takes 1 minute to go golden brown.
6. Fry the spring rolls in lots of 4, for 5-7 minutes or until a mid-golden brown.
Serve with dipping sauces | see recipe here
Serves 4 Prep time | 20 minutes Cooking time | 20 minutes • Handmade Gnocchi | I was taught to make this feather-light gnocchi by a beautiful Italian lady called Patrizia. Every time I make…
Serves 4-6 as a main – 10-12 as part of a shared table Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 2 hours • Pork Ribs | These are a great dish to take to a pot…
Serves 4 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 2 hours 15 minutes + chilling time • Chinese Chilli Caramel Pork | This dish packs a powerful flavour punch. It’s delicious with steamed or fried rice and…
Serves 6-8 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 4-5 hours in a slow cooker or 2 hours on stove top • Bolognese Sauce | this is such a versatile recipe – we usually make…
Serves 4-5 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes • Tuna Mornay | when adding the tuna break up any huge lumps but don’t stir too much after this or the tuna…
Serves as many people as you can invite over! Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 3 hours Christmas Ham | I love to glaze my ham for Christmas day, but I prefer to eat it cold so…