Serves 4 (as part of an antipasto platter)
Prep and cooking time | 15 minutes
• Tomato Bruschetta | This recipe relies on the tomatoes being very red, ripe and lush – so it can only be made when tomatoes are well in season. Buy the best you can afford, or better still, grow some! The beauty of this dish lies in its simplicity – it is also lovely served on slices of fresh bread.
• 4 roma tomatoes – very red and ripe, diced
• ½ purple onion, finely diced
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¼ cup basil leaves, shredded
• french bread stick
• olive oil
1. For the bread base – slice the required number of pieces diagonally from a French Bread stick, 1cm thick. Brush both sides generously with olive oil. Place under a hot grill, on a grill pan, or in a frypan and cook until golden brown on each side.
2. For the salsa combine the tomatoes and other ingredients and allow to stand for half an hour before serving. Store in the fridge but please bring to room temperature before serving.
3. Beautiful served with beautiful Italian antipasto – olives, prosciutto, salami, cheeses, marinated vegetables, the list goes on…