Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 15 minutes
This asparagus soup has a lovely creamy texture even though it doesn’t contain any cream. It has a delicate flavour and can be eaten hot or cold.
• 3 bunches (approx. 600g) white asparagus
• 20g butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 brown onion, chopped
• 2 cups chicken stock
• salt and ground white pepper, to taste
1. Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard them. Cut off the tips, and cut the stalks into thirds.
2. Heat a heavy-based pot over medium heat and melt the butter with the olive oil. Saute the asparagus tips for two minutes or until tender. Remove from the pot and set aside.
3. Place the asparagus stalks, garlic and onion in the pot and sauté until tender and starting to turn golden brown. Add the stock and simmer 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender. Using a hand held stick mixer, blend the soup until it is smooth. Alternatively transfer the soup to a blender and blend.
4. Serve garnished with the reserved tips.
Serves 6-8 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 4-5 hours in a slow cooker or 2 hours on stove top
Serves 4 as a meal – about 10 as part of a shared table Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 10 minutes
Serves 4-5 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes
Serves 6 (as appetiser) Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 5 minutes
Serves 4 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 35 minutes