Prep time | 15 minutes
Cooking time | 1 hour
Ingredients | cake
• 125g butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 3 medium-sized pink lady apples, quartered and cut into thick slices
• 1 ¾ cups pecans, roughly chopped, a few reserved whole
• ¼ cup self-raising flour
• ¾ cup plain flour
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
• ¼ tsp salt
• 125g butter
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ½ cup thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease a 26cm non-stick spring-form tin and line the base with Glad bake.
2. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir through the apples and the pecans.
3. In a separate bowl, sift the flours, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine. Stir the dry ingredients into the apple butter mixture. (Note – ordinarily when baking wet ingredients would go into dry – but this is quite a stiff mixture and I find this way easier.)
4. Stir the mixture only as much as you need to, to make sure it is well combined. This is quite a solid mixture, but the apples release moisture as the cake cooks. Bake for one hour or until golden, aromatic, and coming away from the sides of the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. For the sauce, heat the butter, sugar and cream in a small saucepan until it boils. Boil for one minute and remove from the heat.
Serve the cake (preferably warm!) with caramel sauce and cream or ice cream.
Ingredients • 4 large navel oranges • 1 lime • 1 lemon • 6 eggs • 2 x cups (440g) caster sugar • 400g almond meal • 1 teaspoon baking…
Ingredients • 100 g unsalted butter, softened • 3⁄4 cup (165 g) caster sugar • ½ tsp vanilla extract • 2 eggs • 11⁄3 cups (200 g) self-raising flour •…
Makes 20 squares Prep time | 20 minutes + cooling & refrigeration time Cooking time | 40 minutes • Prep time is only 20 minutes but this recipes also requires some cooling and refrigeration time….
Serves 10 Prep time | 30 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes • Grandma’s Sponge Cake | when the cakes are completely cool, whip the cream. Spread the jam on top of…