Prep time | 10 minutes
Cooking time | 10 minutes
This is a tasty weekend breakfast, making good use of fresh, seasonal asparagus.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 rashers bacon, rind removed, very finely diced
• ¼ cup red wine vinegar
• 2 bunches (approx. 16 spears) fresh green asparagus, woody ends removed
• 4 fresh eggs
1. In a fry pan over medium-high heat, place olive oil and chopped bacon. After a few minutes the bacon will become golden and crispy. A few little pieces might jump around in the pan so be careful. Add the vinegar and remove the pan from the heat. Mix well.
2. Place about 5cm of salted water into a large, deep fry pan or chef’s pan. Bring to a fast simmer. Simmer the asparagus for roughly 1 ½ minutes, or until bright green and tender but still crisp. (Exact time will depend on the thickness of the spears.) Drain on a paper towel. Reduce the heat in the fry pan to a gentle simmer. Crack an egg into a teacup and gently release it into the water. Repeat with the other three eggs. Poach for 2 minutes or until the egg white is just set and the yolk is runny.
3. Serve the asparagus on a slice of toasted sourdough or baguette, topped with the poached egg and generously drizzled with the bacon vinaigrette.
More Vegetable Recipes
Serves 8 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 20 minutes • Cauliflower soup | before cooking process the cauliflower in batches in a food processor to the consistency of large breadcrumbs. This allows…
Makes 4 burgers Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 15 minutes • Aussie Burger | to make this “with the lot” add a fried egg, a fried bacon rasher and a slice of pineapple….
Ingredients • 4 large navel oranges • 1 lime • 1 lemon • 6 eggs • 2 x cups (440g) caster sugar • 400g almond meal • 1 teaspoon baking…
Serves 4-6 Prep time | 15 minutes Cooking time | 1.25 hours • Bacon wrapped glazed meatloaf | for the glaze combine the tomato sauce, apricot jam and soy sauce in a microwave-safe jug…