Prep time | 20 minutes
Cooking time | 1 hour 10 minutes
• Carrot cake is a perennial favourite – and for good reason. It is moist and nutty, the cream cheese icing is irresistible, and, to top it all off, it stays moist and delicious for days. That’s if you can save it for that long!
• 1 cup self-raising flour
• ½ cup plain flour
• 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
• 3 carrots (about 300g), grated
• 150g walnuts, roughly chopped
• ½ cup brown sugar
• ¾ cup olive or vegetable oil vf
• ½ cup golden syrup
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• 250g cream cheese
• ½ cup icing mixture
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 24cm spring-form cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, bicarb soda and cinnamon and mix well. Stir through the carrots and walnuts. In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, syrup, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
3. Pour into tin and bake for 1 hour ten minutes, or until dark golden and set. Remove from the oven and cool for ten minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
4. Combine the cream cheese, icing mixture and remaining vanilla. Beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Ice the cake when it is completely cold.
Ingredients • 4 large navel oranges • 1 lime • 1 lemon • 6 eggs • 2 x cups (440g) caster sugar • 400g almond meal • 1 teaspoon baking…
Ingredients • 100 g unsalted butter, softened • 3⁄4 cup (165 g) caster sugar • ½ tsp vanilla extract • 2 eggs • 11⁄3 cups (200 g) self-raising flour •…
Makes 20 squares Prep time | 20 minutes + cooling & refrigeration time Cooking time | 40 minutes • Prep time is only 20 minutes but this recipes also requires some cooling and refrigeration time….
Serves 10 Prep time | 30 minutes Cooking time | 25 minutes • Grandma’s Sponge Cake | when the cakes are completely cool, whip the cream. Spread the jam on top of…
Serves 10 Prep time | 10 minutes Cooking time | 40 minutes • Apricot Sour Cream Cake | I like to make this in a bundt tin as it looks so pretty. If you cook…
Ingredients | cake • 125g butter, at room temperature • 1 cup caster sugar • 2 eggs • 3 medium-sized pink lady apples, quartered and cut into thick slices • 1 ¾ cups pecans, roughly…